June 1, 1926-August 5, 1962
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe.
“If you’re gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty."
Marilyn Monroe Tidbits
Birth Name: Norma Jeane Mortenson
Also Known As: Norma Jeane Baker
Birth date: June 1, 1926
Birth place: Los Angeles County Hospital, Los Angeles, California
Death date: August 5, 1962
Death place: Brentwood, CA
Height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
Hair color: Blond
Occupations: Model, Actress, Singer
Marriages: Jimmy Dougherty (1942-1946); Joe DiMaggio (1954); Arthur Miller (1956-1961)
Did you know?
- In 1999, Marilyn was named the Number One Sex Star of the 20th Century by Playboy magazine
- In 1999, Marilyn was voted the ‘Sexiest Woman of the Century’ by People Magazine.
- Issued on June 1, 1995, Marilyn was featured on a 32¢ US commemorative postage stamp.
- Elton John recorded the song “Candle in the Wind” as a tribute to Marilyn Monroe.
- In December 1953, she was the Playboy “Sweetheart” of the Month.
- In February 1953, Marilyn was named the “The Most Advertised Girl in the World” by the Advertising Association of the West.
- She was crowned Miss California Artichoke Queen in 1947.
- In 1946, she began using the stage name Marilyn Monroe, but did not legally change her name until February 23, 1956.
- Marilyn Monroe married Joe DiMaggio in San Francisco City Hall.
- Marilyn was the source of inspiration for the character of Holly Go Lightly for Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Marilyn Monroe was nominated for the 1956 British Academy Award for “Best Foreign Actress” in the Seven Year Itch.
- In 1999 Monroe was ranked as the sixth greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute.