Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What's for Lunch?

As I pondered what to have for lunch today, I suddenly had a craving for a Cobb Salad. It's been a while since I've had one..actually years to be exact. I gave up on giving Cobb Salads a chance after no local L.A. restaurant could measure up to one of the best Cobb Salads I've ever had in Vegas; at the MGM to be exact. It's too bad I never had the chance to try the original Cobb Salad, where it all started; in the kitchen of The historic Brown Derby.
The following is how the Cobb was born...

"One night in 1937, Bob Cobb, then owner of The Brown Derby, prowled hungrily in his restaurant's kitchen for a snack. Opening the huge refrigerator, he pulled out this and that: a head of lettuce, an avocado, some romaine, watercress, tomatoes, some cold breast of chicken, a hard-boiled egg, chives, cheese and some old-fashioned French dressing. He started chopping. Added some crisp bacon -- swiped from a busy chef.
"The Cobb salad was born. It was so good, Sid Grauman (Grauman's Chinese Theatre), who was with Cobb that midnight, asked the next day for a 'Cobb Salad.' It was so good that it was put on the menu.
"Cobb's midnight invention became an overnight sensation with Derby customers, people like movie mogul Jack Warner, who regularly dispatched his chauffeur to pick up a carton of the mouth-watering salad."


So there you have it, the birth of a yummy salad and guess what?? I found the original recipe on how to replicate the original Cobb! yay! I must warn you though, the Cobb is not for you calorie counters out there, It's got a whopping average of 757 calories and has been criticized by the Doctors Hospital for being 'unhealthy' when compared to other salads...gee I wonder why?! lol

Anyway if you're a fan of the Cobb as I am, I've posted the recipe :)

Buon Appetit!



Photobucket

No comments: